Beach

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Reader's Toolbox



At the beginning of the year, I teach the reading strategies by referring to them as tools. After I introduce each tool or strategy, the students have to use it as they read during independent reading time. I make sure that I have plenty of sticky notes available for them to mark where they used the strategy in their books. Then we gather together and the students share their discoveries.  I love this part! I can easily access who is actually reading and learning how to apply what they've learned, and who isn't.  I teach and review these strategies intensively at first, and then refer to them often throughout the year. 


Recently, I recreated my tool bookmarks and thought I would share them with you. Young readers might not be able to comprehend or even read all of the words on each bookmark, but eventually they will see the picture of the tool and knows what it means and how to use it. In my experience, these tools are great mnemonic devices that really help my students remember and apply the reading strategies when reading! You can download a copy of my Reader's Toolbox for only $1 at my TPT store here. So, how do you help your students remember the reading strategies?





No comments:

Post a Comment